A Stack of Black Bean, Corn and Sweet Potato Meals
This recipe is one of three meals that are made with some of the same ingredients. Cook one or try cooking them as a “stack” of three to MAKE THE MOST of your time and ingredients. Start with Roasted Sweet Potato Salad and after cooking that, you will be part-way toward two other meals in the stack, Huevos Rancheros and Vegan Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burgers.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Serves 5-6 if just making this meal, or 2-3 if making the “stack” of meals.
- 1 ½ lbs. sweet potatoes
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup olive or avocado oil
- 1 lime, plus ¼ teaspoon zest
- Cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 cans of black beans
- 1 can of sweet corn
- Preheat oven to 400. Prepare a large baking sheet.
- Scrub, dry and cut sweet potatoes into about 1 inch chunks (skin on is just fine). Spread them out on the baking sheet and drizzle generously with olive oil, then toss to coat. Season with salt and garlic powder. Roast sweet potatoes until the edges start to brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, make your dressing by mixing together ¼ c olive/avocado oil, lime zest, the juice from the lime, and a dash or two of cayenne pepper (optional).
- Drain and rinse black beans and corn. In a large bowl, combine roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, diced red onion, cilantro and dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy some salad as a meal or a side.