This recipe is one of three meals that are made with some of the same ingredients. Cook one or try cooking them as a “stack” of three to best utilize your time and ingredients. Start with Ginger Salmon with Red Cabbage Slaw and Jalapeño Cantaloupe Salsa and after cooking that, you will be part-way toward two other meals in the stack, Butter Lettuce Salad with Honey Cilantro Vinaigrette and Shallot and Salmon Burgers with Sesame Aioli.
Ginger Salmon with Red Cabbage Slaw and Jalapeño Cantaloupe Salsa
Serves 5-6 if just cooking this meal. Serves 2 if cooking the “stack” of 3 meals.
- 2 cups diced cantaloupe
- ½ a small jalapeño, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 head of red/purple cabbage, cut into thin strips (2 ½ cups needed)
- Honey Cilantro Vinaigrette, recipe below
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 ½- 2 pound salmon filet
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare salsa by adding cantaloupe, jalapeño, lime juice and cilantro to a medium sized bowl. Stir, then place the salsa in the refrigerator (it tastes best chilled) while you continue to prep.
- Make your Honey Cilantro Vinaigrette, directions below. Pour half the dressing over top your sliced cabbage and stir. Reserve the rest for later use if you are cooking the stack of meals.
- In a small bowl, combine ginger paste, curry powder and some salt and pepper. Spread this mixture over both sides of your salmon.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet (cast iron preferred). When oil is hot, add salmon and cook to your liking, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Enjoy salmon over a bed of Red Cabbage Slaw with some Jalapeño Cantaloupe Salsa on top.
- If cooking the “stack” of 3 meals, reserve your remaining salmon, Cantaloupe Salsa, Red Cabbage Slaw and Honey Cilantro Vinaigrette for later use.
Honey Cilantro VinaigretteServes 4
- ⅔ cup cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a jar or container with a lid. Mix/shake well and store in the refrigerator.