This recipe is one of three meals that are made with some of the same ingredients. Cook one or try cooking them as a “stack” of three. Start with Maple Dijon Chicken with Cranberry Rice and Roasted Veggies and after cooking that, you will be partway toward two other meals in the stack, Five Minute Stir Fry and Stuffed Acorn Squash Bowls.
Maple Dijon Chicken with Cranberry Rice and Roasted Veggies
Serves 5-6 if just cooking this meal. Serves 2 if cooking the “stack” of 3 meals.
- 12 ounces dry wild or brown rice
- 4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds 8 ounces chicken breast, or 6 chicken breast halves
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts
- 1 lb. ounces baby carrots
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Begin cooking rice according to directions on package.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or other oven safe skillet with 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil. Add allspice, garlic powder, ginger powder and 1 teaspoon salt to a plate and mix. Dip each chicken breast in this mixture then add breasts to the skillet to brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, trim brussels stalks if needed. Cut each sprout in half and add these and baby carrots to a baking sheet. Toss with 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt. Place in the oven on the top rack. Add cast iron skillet with chicken to the bottom rack and bake all until chicken is done and brussels are a little brown, about 15-18 minutes.
- Make maple Dijon sauce by mixing together maple syrup and Dijon mustard.
- When rice has finished cooking, stir in 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil, a dash of salt and dried cranberries.
- Serve a chicken breast per person over rice along with a side of roasted brussels sprouts and carrots. Drizzle Maple Dijon sauce over veggies and chicken. Enjoy! If cooking the “stack” of 3 meals, store remaining rice, chicken and veggies for later use.
And here's the best part.. wanna work some dinner magic? Use your leftover chicken and veggies to make two unique meals Five Minute Stir Fry and Stuffed Acorn Squash Bowls.